In my previous blog post I wrote about the best time for newborn photography. This one is another important topic that needs to be discussed with parents prior to their Newborn Session. I have collected a few useful ideas I always tell my clients.
I usually recommend to bring the following items to a baby portrait session:
- Change of clothes for both parents – in case of small accidents, especially when the baby is not wearing a nappy;
- Spare clothes for the baby as well;
- Dummies (pacifiers) – if the baby is using them;
- Wet wipes;
- Extra feeding bottles (if the baby is feeding from a bottle);
- Extra nappies and cloth nappies as well;
- Moisturiser or baby oil for the baby if he/she has dry skin;
- Snacks and toys for small children (older siblings of the newborn baby), although many portrait studios – like ours – provide these;
- Extra layers of clothes and blankets to keep the baby warm;
- Anything you would like your baby to be photographed in – or with – like toys, blankets or outfits with sentimental value for example. Parents often bring handmade items created by grandmothers or special gifts from family and friends.
How to Dress Your Baby
Choose a zip-up or snap-up onesie/sleeper if you have one. Try to avoid any outfit that needs to be removed over the head because it tends to wake and upset the baby. For many newborn photos babies don’t need clothes at all.
Most portrait studios – like our as well – have many accessories for baby photography. You will be able to choose from cute knitted hats, bonnets, rompers, headbands, wraps, blankets and many more. Although – as I mentioned before – if you have any special outfits or blankets etc. you would like your baby to be photographed in, don’t forget to bring them to the session.
Clothing for Parents
I always ask both parents to wear or bring plain black short or long sleeved top for artistic images with the dark background. Plain white or creamy tops (short or long sleeved) are also important for both parents for images with lighter coloured backgrounds.
Plain, solid colours and outfits with no patterns (like dots, flowers atc.) or large logos are important so the focus on the images can be on the faces and the baby. For Dads long jeans or pants always look better on the photos than shorts. Mums are welcome to wear jeans, pants or scirt with top or long dresses.
Clothing for Siblings
For the siblings bring simple, solid coloured outfits and to try and avoid logos and patterns. Sometimes this is difficult with children’s clothes so of course some simple decoration is fine. Many little girls also would like to wear ther princess dresses which can look nice too. The important thing is to try and avoid several different colours and patterns on one image.
It is a good idea to bring a few different outfits for everyone and change for different style of photos and backgrounds. During a photo session I usually change the background 2-3 times and my clients also change while I do that. At the beginning of the session we always discuss a plan and choose clothes for different backgrounds.
If you have any questions about newborn sessions feel free to contact us, we are happy to help. Call Janette on 0431 591 096 or get in touch via the contact page.
For more ideas and images have a look at our newborn gallery.
If you would like to find out what the best time is for a newborn session click the button below.